By Di, Jan 25 2016 04:11PM
In January 2015, 6months into retirement, I decided I needed a new challenge ....................and then I came across an 'offer'.
The online course The Savile Row Coat was reduced. As tempted as I was this was very expensive, however I took the plunge and invested in lifetime access to this resource. So glad I did that, I now know it's something I shall keep going back to.
Unfortunately the course is no longer available to new students, such a shame.
Now this is what I'm trying to achieve ..... however my cloth didn't cost £900 a metre!
I decided I would make a blazer as it seemed more practicle, my husband would get more wear out of it than a suite. So I chose a pattern with that in mind. One day when I was teaching at Love Hector's Emporium in Crich I had come across Burda 6871 and I'd added it to my stash.
It was a toss up between that and Vogue 8719
Not sure why, but the Burda pattern was to be the one I used. I think it seemed to match the measurements I had.
By now it was summer 2015 and I'd not made much progress. I knew I would have to commit a considerable amount of time to this project ....... little did I know ..................... Also I was developing workshops and other resources that seemed to get in the way.
I had all my fabrics, interfacings etc so I made a toile and was really pleased with the fit. During a cold and wet holiday in France I gave time to pad stitching the chest canvas and collar .... sorry no photos at this point. Once back in the UK progress again stalled. So once Xmas was sorted I decided now was the time to make my Savile Row Coat.
When I was happy with the toile I cut it apart along the stitching lines and used it to mark out the cloth. Those stripes were going to be a real challenge. The online lessons used a pin stripe to demonstrate how to make sure the stripes matched, but my cloth had 2 colours and a pinstripe!
Part 2 will share my progress making the fronts, 7 pockets and hand stitched lapels......................